As part of our commitment to young people, UK Youth has for over 75 years operated an Outdoor Centre at Avon Tyrrell. Operated as a financially self-supporting and sustainable social enterprise business that generates surplus income to support UK Youth charitable activity, our Outdoor Learning provision is intentionally inclusive and champions effective youth led engagement to highlight the importance and raise understanding of the breadth and positive outcomes of youth work.
Working in our small friendly catering team you will be able to use your experience and ideas to develop our catering services by:
- Designing and delivering customer driven cost effective menus that promote healthy eating
- Create a dining experience that encourages social interaction (meals are served from our hot plate and eaten in our dining room) helping to support the overall outcomes of any visit
- Inspire others by offering mentoring support to our apprentice commis chef
You will also have responsibility for:
- Maintaining standards to ensure we comply with all regulatory and legislative requirements
- Maintaining industry knowledge to provide professional expertise on allergens
- Ordering and maintaining stock levels, sourcing best value
- Providing high levels of customer care, interacting politely and professionally with guests
This role will require some weekend working, but unless in exceptional circumstances, there will be no late evenings (8pm latest finish) and a guaranteed 2 weeks off at Christmas. All hours are recorded and whilst weekly working hours may vary the average working week is 37.5 hours.
Who we are
UK Youth is a leading charity that exists to ensure all young people are equipped to thrive and
empowered to contribute at every stage of their lives. We work with others to ensure that the youth sector is strengthened, supported, and that provision is youth-led, evidence-informed and delivers high-quality outcomes.
UK Youth plays a unique role in addressing; the lack of investment in the youth sector, the lack of cross sector understanding in how youth work makes a difference and the limited opportunities to embed effective solutions. These factors lead to mass inequality of access to youth services for young people. To find more about us and how we make an impact, please visit UK Youth Website.
Why work at UK Youth?
We are a value-based, passionate and committed organisation offering a friendly working environment with lots of opportunities for professional development and socialising (even whilst we are all working remotely!) from lunch and learn sessions, staff quizzes to virtual coffee meet ups.
UK Youth prides itself on being an Equal Opportunity employer and we would particularly welcome applications for this role from those who identify under one of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010.
We value the differences that a diverse workforce brings and are committed to inclusivity, and to employing and supporting a diverse workforce. Our selection procedures ensure that people are treated on the basis of their relevant merits, experience, skills and abilities and that no individual receives more or less favourable treatment.
We welcome applications from groups currently under-represented in our organisation including Black, Asian, minority ethnic groups, LGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities. We are also currently underrepresented by men, and so are seeking applications from different backgrounds, cultures, age, experience and identity to bring a wide range of experience, ideas, views and insights to UK Youth.
What we can offer you
We offer a competitive range of benefits, good work/life balance, excellent learning and development opportunities and vibrant organisational culture.
- Flexible/Agile Working
- 27 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme (currently UK Youth match employee contributions up to 5%)
- Membership of our life insurance scheme which would pay-out up to 4 times your salary
- Employee Assistance Programme to support employees both professionally and personally
- 20% discount off bookings at Avon Tyrrell our New Forest Outdoor Centre including, camping, lodges and outdoor activities.
- Cyclescheme and Techscheme
How to apply
Candidates are encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn’t precisely match the job description for this role. Your experience, skills and passion will set you apart so tell us about your achievements, irrespective of whether they are personal or work-related, about your journey to date; how this has shaped you and the things you learnt along the way.
If you would like to be considered for this fantastic opportunity, please read the job description, and then click here and complete an application via our completely anonymised recruitment system (provided by Applied).
- Closing date for applications will be 9am 25th August 2021
As this role involves working in a regulated environment with young people, any offer will be conditional to satisfactory background checks which include criminal record check and employment reference. However, we welcome applications from those with previous criminal convictions.
As part of the recruitment process UK Youth will be gathering and uses certain information about you. For further information regarding this please review our Data Protection Privacy Notice which explains what data of yours we process and how we use it.