The Big Music Project
The Big Music Project is a partnership between UK Youth and Global (who own Capital, Capital XTRA, Radio X and others), funded by The Big Lottery Fund. The programme is delivered right across the UK, in partnership with Youth Cymru, Youth Action Northern Ireland, Rathbone, Myplace and Youth Scotland.
The Big Music Project is all about empowering young people with opportunities through the power of music. We work with the biggest brands in music, breaking barriers by creating and highlighting the best opportunities for young people across the UK, running everything from training schemes and careers advice to work experience, internships and hands-on skills building projects.
The aim of the project is:
- Bringing people together through music
- Equipping young people with the skills, knowledge and confidence they need to create a successful future in the music and creative industries.
- Inspiring young people by showcasing the range of roles within the music and creative industries, motivating them to launch their careers.
Through the four strands of the project, young people can get involved in a number of ways. On The Big Music Project website they can access online advice from the industry and entry level job opportunities. In one of our 110 Big Music Hubs across the UK, young people can become a Big Music Champion and receive training and support to plan and deliver a creative project that shares their skills with the community. Through our Music Potential courses, young people gain training and mentoring to learn the skills they need to be successful in the creative industries. Finally, young people can benefit from real work experience as we source and fund internships and work experience placements across the industry.
Since it began in 2013, the project has:
- Trained over 1000 young people to lead peer education
- Engaged over 3000 young people to take part in live events across the UK
- Established over 100 Big Music Project hubs
If you’re interested in getting involved then check out The Big Music Project website for more information.